The U.P. Regional Blood Center, a service of Marquette General Hospital, is experiencing a critical need for blood throughout the Upper Peninsula.
Types of blood needed are A-positive, A-negative, B-negative, and O-negative.
“The target we set for each blood type is dwindling,” said Sallie Coron, of the U.P. Regional Blood Center. “For example, our target for A-positive blood is to have 115 pints available, and right now we only have 65.”
The following are a few reasons for the low blood supply:
- Cold and flu season – people aren’t healthy enough to donate blood
- Bad weather prevents people from donating at a local blood drive or donating at the Blood Center
- Bad weather causes the Blood Center to cancel blood drives, especially when schools are closed
Currently, the supply is as follows:
- A-positive: 57 percent of target goal
- A-negative: 28 percent of target goal
- B-negative: 54 percent of target goal
- O-negative: 33 percent of target goal
“In order to continue supplying blood to the people of the Upper Peninsula, we must reach our target goal,” said Coron. “We are urging those who are able to donate to call and make an appointment at one of our service sites.”
To be eligible to donate blood, a person must be at least 16 years old, in good health, weigh at least 110 pounds and have a picture ID. (Those who are 16 year old must have parental consent).
The donation process is a quick and simple. A technician performs a brief medical screening to check blood pressure, pulse, temperature and hemoglobin levels. This helps assure safe blood for patients, and also provides a quick check-up for donors. The entire process takes about 45 minutes, while the actual donation will only take about 10 minutes.
All blood donated at the UP Regional Blood Center stays in the Upper Peninsula. One pint of blood can be used to help three different people in the U.P., and helps 13 Upper Peninsula hospitals.
You can donate blood at the following service sites:
U.P. Regional Blood Center – Escanaba
- 710 South Lincoln Suite 200
- For more information or to schedule an appointment, please call (906) 786-8420
U.P. Regional Blood Center – Hancock
- 787 Market St., Ste. #6, Quincy Center on Market Street, next to Pat’s Food
- For more information or to schedule an appointment, please call (906) 483-1392.
U.P. Regional Blood Center – Marquette
- 427 West College Ave. – Adjacent to Marquette General Hospital
- For more information or to schedule an appointment, please call (906) 225-4610
U.P. Regional Blood Center – Sault Ste. Marie
- 550 Osborn St.
- For more information or to schedule an appointment, please call (906) 632-1177